At Marriott Primary school, we recognise that the personal development of pupils, spiritually, morally, socially and culturally plays a significant part in their ability to learn and achieve.
We therefore aim to provide an education that provides children with opportunities to explore and develop their own values and beliefs, spiritual awareness, high standards of personal behaviour, a positive caring attitude towards other people, an understanding of their social and cultural traditions and an appreciation of the diversity and richness of other cultures. This is embeded throughout all aspects of school life.
Pupils’ spiritual development is shown by their:
- Beliefs, religious or otherwise, which inform their perspective on life and their interest in and respect for different people’s feelings and values.
- Use of imagination and creativity in their learning
Pupils’ moral development is shown by their:
- Ability to recognise the difference between right and wrong and their readiness to apply this understanding in their own lives.
- Interest in investigating, and offering reasoned views about, moral and ethical issues.
Pupils’ social development is shown by their:
- Willingness to participate in a variety of social settings, cooperating well with others and being able to resolve conflicts effectively.
Pupils’ cultural development is shown by their:
- Understanding and appreciation of the wide range of cultural influences that have shaped their own heritage.
At Marriott, we have a programme of assesmblies to provide a thoughtful and wide ranging promotion of SMSC to prepare pupils for life in Modern Britain.