Summary of letter from Department of Education
- This is a challenging time – especially for children and young people with SEND and their families.
- The Department of Education want to do everything they can to support you at this difficult time.
- Link to Government guidance: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-guidance-on-vulnerable-children-and-young-people
Points 20 – 23 relate specifically to children with SEND.
- Coronavirus Bill – there will be temporary emergency powers which will change the legal requirements for the Local Authority as they may not be able to carry out all the support outlined in your child's EHCP. They are also seeking to change regulations on the timescale for the EHCP process - meaning it may be longer than the current 20 week timescale.
- The Department of Education are encouraging you to keep up to date with Government advice by looking on the website or calling the helpline: https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus or 0800 046 8687, and lines are open 8am-6pm (Monday – Friday), and 10am – 4pm (Saturday and Sunday).
- There will also be regular updates on the Council for Disabled Children’s website so please check using this link: https://councilfordisabledchildren.org.uk/news-opinion/news/covid-19-support-and-guidance